Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Year-Long Nativity Scene



So, at Barb's (Chelsea Morning) she's talked about keeping her Nativity Set up all year long. I thought that was a great idea. I had a beautiful Christmas card of the Nativity that I kept on my windowsill all year long last year. But this year I hunted for one I could place on the ledge permanently. See what I found, and at half price, only $4.00. I couldn't believe it - it fits perfectly. I'm so happy.

Then, I thought of a great idea of what to do with old Christmas cards. I hate throwing them out, especially when they are beautiful ones of the Nativity or snowmen. So this year I cut the backs off and will use the fronts for bookmarks. I'm always reading several books at one time and always need a few for my bible (card fronts are nice and flat) so I thought these would do the trick. I even thought I could write the person's name on the back of the front (are you following me:) so I could remember who took the time to send me such a lovely card.

It was just one of those days, everything clicking away. Lots of little, annoying jobs done. Hubby cleaned up his workroom, we put all the Christmas boxes away and cleaned out that storage closet, printed off the Christmas pictures for scrapbookking, vacuumed the family room and straightened it up, took three bags to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, tidied up the living room, dining room and kitchen, etc., etc. We even went grocery shopping yesterday. We feel so accomplished!!

Bring on Monday - we are so ready!

Sandy

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Barb said...

I love having my nativity out year round, Sandy. I could never ever pack it away. I have a curio cabinet with nineteen other Willow Tree figurines in it, all given me at different times by my family, and one year I did put the nativity in it. I couldn't stand it so out it came.

The one you found is very sweet and won't take up a lot of room either.

Sounds like you had a very productive day. Good for you. It feels good to get things back to normal, doesn't it?

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm the other end of the spectrum. I dont even own one. I had two and gave them to my two daughters, had planned to buy one this year from the bookstore but someone else bought it the first day we put it out. Love your idea of the cards, might be a good reminder to pray for those people who sent them to you. xoox